About UCP

Do you serve people with disabilities other than Cerebral Palsy?

Yes, we serve people with a variety of disabilities, including but not limited to; cerebral palsy, autism, down syndrome, sensory processing disorders, genetic disorders, orthopedic disabilities, torticollis, birth defects, effects of in-utero drug or alcohol exposure, head injuries, developmental delay and other diagnoses that affect development. We offer assessments and will evaluate your child to determine if UCP is the best place for his/her needs and can also offer referrals if we are not able to provide services.

What is the age range that UCP serves?

This depends on the services that your child/adult needs. Below is a list of our programs and their age requirements.
Early Intervention: Birth -3 years
Early Learning Center: 6 weeks- 5 years
Therapy: Birth to 12 years
After School for Children: 3- 21 years (or pre-high school graduates)

Summer Program: 3- 21 years (or pre-high school graduates)
Day Treatment for Adults: 21 – Adulthood (or post- high school graduates)

Where are the services provided?

This depends on the services that your child/adult needs. Below is a list of our programs and the location in which the service is provided.
Early Intervention: In your home or in the natural environment of the child needing service.
Early Learning Center: At the Laura Dozer Center located in North Phoenix. 1802 W. Parkside Ln. Phoenix, AZ 85027
Therapy: At the Laura Dozer Center located in North Phoenix 1802 W Parkside Ln. Phoenix, AZ 85027 or at UCP Downtown; 1007 N 7th St.
Day Treatment and Training for Children: At the Laura Dozer Center located in North Phoenix. 1802 W Parkside Ln. Phoenix, AZ 85027.
Day Treatment for Adults: At the DTA building located 2 blocks of The Dozer Center. 22601 N 17th Ave Suite 150 Phoenix, AZ 85027.
Summer Program: At the Laura Dozer Center located in North Phoenix. 1802 W Parkside Ln. Phoenix, AZ 85027.

UCP is a non-profit agency. What does that mean?

As a charitable not for profit agency, UCP uses all revenue to further its mission, purpose and services to as many members as possible.   Any surplus revenue is not distributed to shareholders. Non-profits rely on the investment of businesses, foundations and individuals to continue serving members in all programs.

What is the relationship between Circle K and UCP?

For more than 30 years Circle K has been UCP’s biggest supporter, a true corporate partner. Whether it is collecting change at their stores, being the charity of choice at their Desert Klassic Golf Tournament, making UCP Downtown a reality or sending volunteers to our numerous events, Circle K has always been there for UCP and all its members. For the past 6 years, UCP has recognized Circle K at our Champions in Life Night Gala as our Champion Sponsor due to their unlimited commitment to UCP.

How can I become a supporter?

⦁ Come for a tour and get to see our programs in action
⦁ Give in a way that is meaningful for you:
⦁ Sponsor or attend a community event such as the Champions in Life Night in the fall or The Fun Run Walk and Roll in the spring
⦁ Volunteer – anyone 12 and up….
⦁ Take advantage of the Arizona Charitable Tax Credit – contribute up to $800 at no cost to you.
⦁ Give the gift of services, goods, resources or talent
⦁ Make a donation or pledge online

Can I make an In-Kind Donation?

Yes! Here are some examples of in-kind donations we can accept:
⦁ Photography Services
⦁ Advertising Services
⦁ Education Workshops or Talks
⦁ New items that can be used in our programs (ie. Toys, books, board games, art supplies)
⦁ Gardening supplies
⦁ Food for holiday parties
⦁ Silent or Live Auction Items for our Champions in Life Night ( ie. Gift cards, tickets to a special event, experiences)
All In-kind donations will be acknowledged with a letter stating the value of the donation.

How is my Donation making a difference to UCP?

⦁ Your donation can help UCP expand its reach for children in need of our Early Intervention program that serves children ages 0-3. The goal is to help children with a delay in development, physical, or learning so they can receiving the appropriate therapy services so they can be successful in preschool or kindergarten.
⦁ If the child still needs therapy services after age 3 they can continue in our Laura Dozer Center to receive physical, occupation, feeding, and speech therapies.
⦁ A child can attend our Early Learning Center to receive quality early childhood care and education. Our facility is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and by the Arizona Department of Health Services.
⦁ A child or adult can attend our Day Treatment and Day Training Programs to increase their independence by develop communication skills, experience community integration, and learn money skills.
⦁ Allow a UCP Family member to have a UCP Home Base and Community provider go to their home for respite services so the caregiver can take a break from caring for their loved one.

Therapy Clinic Services

Where are the UCP Therapy Clinics located ?

UCP’s Therapy Clinics serve children from infancy to pre-teen years at the Laura Dozer Center located in North Phoenix, south of Pinnacle Peak Rd. and east of 19th Ave. and in Downtown Phoenix on the NE corner of 7th Street and Roosevelt.

What services does UCP Therapy Clinic Provide?

Occupational Therapy

Speech Therapy

Physical Therapy

Feeding Therapy

Handwriting Clinic

My doctor says my child isn’t meeting his milestones, how do I get help?

First, talk with your pediatrician about your child’s development. Most insurances companies require a doctor’s prescription for therapy. What your concern is will determine what type of therapy your doctor may recommend. Once you have that prescription, call UCP at 602-943-5472 to make an appointment.

What do I need to start my child in therapy clinic?

The first step is to fill out an intake packet that contains consents for treatment, developmental history questions, primary care physician contact information, Insurance information, and other items needed to begin the process of enrolling at our clinic. Once we receive the intake packet, insurance benefits will be verified and a payment plan will be discussed (if applicable). We will also need a prescription from the primary care physician recommending the evaluation and/or treatment. At that point the initial session with a therapist for the requested discipline(s) will be scheduled.

Does UCP accept private pay for therapy?

Yes. Private pay for therapies is an option that can be discussed with clinic therapy management during the intake process. We have private pay options for evaluation and if it is recommended in the evaluation, we have opportunity to private pay for on going therapy on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis.

What insurances does UCP accept?

  • Aetna
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona (BCBS)
  • Cigna
  • Tri-Care
  • United Healthcare
  • United Healthcare Community Plan (AHCCCS)
  • Children’s Rehabilitative Services(CRS)
  • Comprehensive Medical and Dental Program (CMDP)

More info

Do I have to stay to watch my child’s therapy session?

Parents and/or caregivers are encouraged to participate in therapy sessions. Your child’s therapist will advise the best way for you to be involved in the session. This could include being in the treatment room, observing through a 1-way window, and/or reviewing home program recommendations at the end of the session. The therapy clinic requests that you remain on-site during therapy sessions. Exceptions to this must be discussed prior to the appointment with administration and/or the therapist.

Early Intervention Home-Based Services

Is there a cost for early intervention services?

No. Families will not experience out-of- pocket costs so your family will not have to pay any co-insurance, deductibles or co-pays. However, your insurance company, whether public or private, will be billed first and the Arizona Early Intervention Program (AzEIP) will pay for the rest. See EI Payment Brochure for more info.

My doctor said that my child isn’t meeting his milestones; how do I get help?

First, talk with your pediatrician about your child’s development. As long as your child is younger than 3 years old, your pediatrician or YOU can refer your child to AzEIP for a developmental evaluation. Here are the two ways a referral can be made:

1. Use the AzEIP Online Referral

2. Contact by phone using local AzEIP office, using the Find AzEIP Office

How does therapy in early intervention compare to clinic therapy?

Early intervention is always provided in the home and uses a team to serve your family. You are the primary team member on your child’s team and services have an emphasis on your concerns for your child. Clinic therapy has an emphasis on a child’s medical needs and occurs in the clinic to be able to have access to tools and equipment that may be necessary to help your child. The parent and caregiver participation are an important part of therapy and you will want to work closely with your therapist(s).

If I choose early intervention, will my child see just one person?

No. You and your child will have a team of professionals assigned to your family but you will have direct contact with only one or two of your team members at a time.

What is meant by Team-Based Model?

The AzEIP approach is a Team-Based Approach. A family is assigned a core team of professionals made up of a service coordinator and possibly a developmental specialist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, and/or speech and language pathologist to ensure all areas of a child’s development are supported.  More info…

If my child is in AZEIP, can I bring them to the clinic too for more therapy?

No. Families will need to choose which model works best for their child. Both programs bill health insurance and this will cause a problem with billing insurance if it’s the same service such as physical therapy.

Do I have to stay to watch my child’s therapy session?

Yes. The parent or caregiver is considered part of the team and your participation in therapy allows you to be an active member of your team. Since you are with your child throughout the week, you can carry over what you were coached on by your team. Parent participation is a very important part of the program design.

What happens at Early Intervention team meetings and should I come for them when my child is being discussed?

Your child’s team meets quarterly to discuss your child’s progress, which usually takes about 5 to 6 minutes depending on your child’s needs. As a team member, you are welcome to join. You will receive an invitation with the time and how to join your team either by coming in person or via telephone.

Early Learning Center

Does my child have to have cerebral palsy or a disability to attend the Early Learning Center?

The Early Learning Center is an inclusive environment, serving children with and without special needs.

What makes the Early Learning Center different than daycare?

The Early Learning Center is an inclusive environment that serves children with and without disabilities. It is a NAEYC accredited program, which ensures a high quality learning environment. The teachers are trained to work with children with and without disabilities, and to meet their individual needs. The classroom ratios are low, and provide the optimal setting for early learning.

Home and Community Based Services

What is HCBS – Home and Community Based Services?

UCP’s HCBS program provides 1-1 care services in the home or community to individuals that qualify under DDD (the Division of Developmental Disabilities).

What services does HCBS provide?

Attendant Care (ATC)- Help with all activities of daily living that the individual can not do for themselves ie: cooking, cleaning, bathing, dressing.

Habilitation (HAH) – Teaching an individual a new skill that they have not learned or mastered ie: tying shoes, shaving, safety skills, meal planning.

Respite (RSP) – Gives the primary caregiver (guardian, whomever) a much needed break

Housekeeping (HSK) – To maintain safe and sanity living conditions, no direct care is involved. Individual receiving this service does not need to be present.

Who provides HCBS services?

Trained DCW’s (Direct Care Workers) who are 18 years or older, that can pass a drug screening and back ground check provide the 1-1 care service. They could be a family member or friend of the individual.

Who hires and supervises Direct Care Workers?

HCBS Coordinators after they pass a drug screening and background check.

We are always looking to hire Direct Care Workers, apply today at http://phoenix.jobing.com/ucpofarizona

Who pays for HCBS services?

The State of Arizona through the Department of Economic Security (DES) and through federal funds, depending on the individuals qualifying status.

How do I apply for HCBS services?

Contact the HCBS department  at UCP: 602-313-8999 then go to


The individual needs to be an Arizona Resident, voluntarily applies, is at risk if 6 years old or younger or has been diagnosed prior to age 18 for Epilepsy, Cerebral Palsy, Cognitive/Intellectual Disability, or Autism, and has substantial functional limitations in 3 of  7 major life areas.

Can I choose a family member to provide my HCBS services?

Yes, as long as they are 18 years or older and qualify. If you do not have a family member you can choose from UCP caregivers that you have interviewed.

Are HCBS Direct Care Workers trained?

Yes, in CPR, 1st Aid, Article 9, DCW (if ATC is being provided), Anti-Harassment, BBP- Blood Born Pathogens, Body Mechanics and Personal Hygiene, Cultural Competency, Fraud, Waste and Abuse, HIPAA (privacy policy), Incident Reporting, Intro to DDD, Mandatory Reporting, Medication Policies and Procedures, Positive Behavior Support, Skill Building and the ISP Process.


We believe the right training gives employees the necessary skills and knowledge to carry out their work to the best of their ability, increasing quality of work and providing the best care possible.

Volunteering with us

What volunteer opportunities are available?

Volunteers are able to volunteer in varies programs and departments:

Volunteer with the members: Assist in various programs with children or adults in a classroom setting. Provide support to staff in preparing activities and snacks for the day, participating in field trips, share talent, and engagement with members, staff, and community!

Volunteer in administration: Provide clerical support in the office, such as filing, scanning, preparing mailings, data entry, organizing, and any other projects assigned.

Volunteer in special events: Assist UCP staff during their annual events including galas, fun run, program parties and celebrations, community fairs and more.

Serve on committees: As we increase awareness, we are always looking for new people to bring another perspective.

What are the age requirements for a volunteer?

Volunteer age requirement starts at 12. However each volunteer case may vary, depending on the program, department, project, or special event, volunteers under 12 can be accepted. The volunteer services assigned to a minor will be performed in a non-hazardous environment and will comply with the appropriate requirements of child labor laws. Minors will need to be accompanied by parent, guardian, or adult at all times. All waivers and forms will be completed with consent of a parent or legal guardian prior to volunteering.

Can my child or young adult volunteer at UCP, or a special event?

Yes. Each volunteer case may vary, depending on the program, department, project, or special event. Volunteers under 18 years of age can be accepted. However minors will need to be accompanied by parent, legal guardian, or adult at all times. Any volunteer service assigned to a minor will be performed in a non-hazardous environment and will comply with the appropriate requirements of child labor laws. All waivers and forms will be completed with consent of a parent or legal guardian prior to volunteering.

Do volunteers take the place of an employee or ratio?

Volunteers will never take the place of an employee, or be used as a staff ratio for any classroom, program, or service at UCP. Each volunteer has an identified supervisor or lead that is responsible for direct management their volunteer duty or task. The supervisor or lead is responsible for the day-to- day management and guidance of the work of the volunteer and shall be available for consultation and assistance.

Does UCP allow court order community service hours, for persons to complete with our organization?

Depending on the court order, UCP may or may not be able to accommodate the court ordered community service hours. This will be discussed with the Human Resources Director or Manager.

Are volunteers covered under UCP’s insurance?

In general, UCP insurance covers volunteers while they are acting as agents for UCP for: Liabilities they might incur while performing UCP duties Liabilities incurred as a result of accidents in a UCP owned or leased vehicle Medical expenses incurred in conjunction with their UCP volunteer activities (injured volunteers should first turn to their own personal health and medical insurance). Questions about insurance for volunteers can be referred to UCP’s Human Resources, Community Relations Manager, or Development Department

Does UCP pay for volunteer fingerprint clearance level one ?

UCP can start the process of fingerprinting the volunteer, and or provide them with intructions on how to complete however the fee will be at the volunteer’s own expense.

If a parent of a UCP member expressed an interest in volunteering, on a regular basis, or for a special event; are they still required to go through the volunteer process? Background check, waivers, confidentiality, etc.?

Yes. Depending on the time length of service, and what area or program the parent/gaurdian will volunteer their time in, they will still need to go through the volunteer process. Applications, credentials, trainings, etc.